Cree Set of Tools.
Cree Inc., a manufacturer of semiconductors and light-emitting diodes, provides the following tools:
a) Cree Driver Compatibility Program Tool (DCP Tool)
b) Cree Product Characterization Tool (PCT)
c) Cree Binonator (Colour-mixing tool)
Cree Driver Compatibility Program Tool (DCP Tool)
The DCP Tool contains searchable data of all drivers that have been submitted by driver manufacturers under the Cree Driver Compatibility Program. The tool includes third-party drivers that have been found compatible with Cree LED products. The tool can be used to find drivers to meet requirements of different market regions and lighting applications.
Cree Product Characterization Tool (PCT)
The Cree Product Characterization Tool (PCT) allows selecting from multiple lighting-system design parameters to compare up to three LED models simultaneously.For all valid LED drive currents, the PCT does the following:
• Shows all critical LED design parameters, such as luminous flux and efficacy, for selected LED models
• Performs de-rating calculations based on junction temperature (Tj)
• Calculates LED valuations, such as lumens per dollar (lm/$)
• Estimates simple LED design parameters, such as the number of LEDs required and total power consumption
The PCT provides three LED models, each displaying the same four design calculations as a function of forward current in the bottom half of the screen. The top half of the screen contains controls for which four design parameters to display, the range of currents to display, and the system parameters for your lighting design.
Cree Binonator (Colour-mixing tool)
TCree Binonator is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that does the following:
• Specify and visualize an N-step MacAdam ellipse around a series of correlated-colour temperatures, centered on the black-body line.
• Specify a series of LEDs each with associated colour and flux bins.
• Calculate the resulting flux and colour point.
• Display graphical results.
In multi-LED designs, buying full distributions of LEDsrather than just a specific binand mixing the LEDs offers a flexible and cost-effective way to achieve good and repeatablecolour consistency. Cree Binonator calculates and displays the chromaticity and flux results that come from mixing multiple LEDs from different chromaticity and flux bins.
Usefulness for Luminaire Manufacturers
The Cree set of tools is obviously only useful for luminaire manufacturers utilising Cree LED components and modules. Compared to the Arrow Lighting Designer, it addresses only few aspects of the product development process design but those in more detail.